This is the outline of a course I taught to level 7 technical students in 2009-10. I include it as reference material. Links to detail pages are scattered across the site, sorry. The powerpoint presentations more or less reproduce the section “Beyond the Playhouse”
- Course brief – theatre and communities
- Arts project funding bid – Theatre futures
- C4 Big Art Project – Artscheck file
- Discussion area 2009-10 Forum
1 The community as place: street arts.
Recently there has been something of an upsurge in publicly funded street performance; everything from living statues to large scale public processional events. British practice is taking in influence from the Caribbean, from Europe, south Asia and the Far East; taking in and adapting, while adding elements of its own.
- Street arts Powerpoint presentation
- Art Car Parade
- Independent Street Arts Network
- Example companies: Kinetika, Mandinga
- Street Arts Network – Outdoor strategy 2008
2 Community as an age group: Theatre for young audiences
Interactive theatre / Theatre in education (TiE)
Attached education departments.
The lecture also looks at schools drama and training policy, and suggests ways of looking at finding funding for applied theatre projects.
- Youth & Community Powerpoint presentation
- Chapter on Youth theatre
- Ken Robinson on creativity (video)
- GLYPT Master Juba video
- Schools theatre/drama intiatives (online video)
- Arts Awards, Artsmark
- Dorothy Heathcote links inc. video
- Youth theatre – its history
- Equality & diversity Powerpoint presentation
- Talawa Theatre Company
- Disability arts online
- London Disability Arts Forum
- Nitro Theatre
- Eclipse project Report
- Collective Artistes file
4 The community as technology: Digital Communities.
This section looked at the impact of digital technologies.
Three basic sections: Digital scenography; mobile technologies; Web2 ideas.
- Digital lecture Powerpoint presentation
- Cirque de Soleil – Ka
- Blast theory
5 Community as politics: Community Policy
A quick look at the policy of the arts council and others. Contains some case studies.
Contained some material on how to set up a community project, with a view to the project assignment.
- Public policy for the arts Powerpoint presentation
- Arts in regeneration – Futurity arts
- Asking questions about community arts
- Example – Gravesham Cultural Strategy 2008 – 2011
- Instrumental theatre links
- Arts Council England – grants for the arts
- Cultural policy
6 Postmodernism: politics, power, and forms of ownership.
This bonus session, which wasn’t presented as a lecture, explored some of the cultural theory which is being used to critically examine contemporary performance, and outlines some of the critical tools available to tec / management practitioners in analysing the demands on their creativity.
- Performance theory
- Postmodernism Powerpoint presentation